A NEW AND IMPROVED DAY

A NEW AND IMPROVED DAY

Monday 4 January 2016

INTRODUCTION





My name is Steve ZoBell.  I am from Canada.  I love working with people, helping them to find solutions to the challenges that they face.  I have educated myself and taken opportunities to have experiences, so that I could develop skills to assist others in dealing with mental health challenges. The most important thing I can communicate to others who are facing mental/emotional health challenges, or who have friends or loved ones struggling with mental or emotional health troubles, is that THERE IS HOPE!!

It is my intent that this blog might provide simple concepts and ideas to help a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to maintain stable mental health, to prepare for future challenges and/or to deal with mild to moderate mental health for themselves or their loved ones.  Over the years, I have seen solutions to mental/emotional health challenges become increasingly complicated and complex.  This blog will provide simple options that may stimulate internal resources or assist in finding external options.  Above all, it is my intent to stimulate hope in those who are struggling with mental/emotional challenges.

Although I have qualifications and have worked in the mental health arena for over 50 years, this blog is not designed to provide professional service.  It is created to share simple 'how to' approaches in dealing with mental health issues.  There is nothing new to be found in this blog.  It merely offers simple and basic ideas that most people know about.  Most of it is done in point form to simplify the approaches and to avoid confusion regarding the excessive amount of information that is available on the internet and other sources.  Sometimes we just need to be reminded, in simple ways, of things that we can do to prevent or solve mental health problems.  As well, it doesn't hurt to raise our awareness about potential challenges even when our lives may be running smoothly.  Regarding mental and emotional issues, we can learn to act rather than being acted upon.  I want to be able to help individuals to be proactive and prevent potential problems that may arise.

In most cases ideas are provided in point form.  They are presented with simplicity and are not meant to be in the context of professionalism.  I have not designed them to be treatment plans.  Rather, each person can take the ideas presented and design their own treatment plan, set their own goals and take personal responsibility for mental/emotional self-care.  Some of the blogs are presentations I have made in the area of mental health.

Consideration could be given to find more information, in greater detail, through other sources.  I have included a list of where to find, how to screen and how to use potential resources on one of the posts of this blog.

Many years ago, I had a head on automobile accident.  The car I was driving became what is referred to as a 'write off.'  To me and my company, the car became trash.  But to those who used the 'trash' to sell parts at a scrap yard, the car became a 'treasure.'  I have found in working with clients over the years, that when a different perspective is taken, when our viewpoint can be re-framed, when we look at our difficult challenges through different eyes, then we can appreciate the benefits that even horrendous challenges can provide.  Perhaps we can learn to find the treasure in the tragedy, the purpose in the perplexity, the meaning in the madness.

It is my belief, having worked as a mental health professional for over 50 years, that there is hope, even for the most difficult and daunting challenges.


Stephen D. ZoBell, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment